Taylor Marshall has Ten Easy Points on St. Bernardine:
Today is the feast day of Saint Bernardine of Sienna (1380–1444), one of the greatest Franciscan priests of all time.
- Bernardine was the son of the governor of Sienna, but he was raised by his aunt.
- At the age of 20, Bernardine returned the favor and nursed his bedridden aunt until her death.
- After his beloved aunt died, Bernardine became a Franciscan at the age 22 in the year 1402.
- He was the most famous preacher of his age. Crowds swelled around him wherever he went. Since the church’s could not hold the crowds, he would preach outside.
- He is the Apostle of the Holy Name. At the end of ever sermon, he would hold a wooden plaque with the Holy Name of Jesus on it. The faithful would venerate and kiss the plaque in fulfillment of Philippians 2:10, “That in the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those that are in heaven, on earth, and under the earth.” Continue Reading….